I thought I would take this opportunity to reflect back on some of the major events of 2010 for iOS in general, as well as myself and Mind Juice.
Looking back, it’s amazing to see just how much Apple delivered to us this past year!
- iPad released
- iPhone 4 released (amidst a huge scandal involving a careless Apple employee, stolen property and police raids)
- iPhone 4 Antennagate issue (hit hard and then faded away)
- Apple instituted and later removed restrictions on 3rd party development tools and analytics services
- iOS4.x Released (Multitasking, Blocks/GCD, Core MIDI, etc.)
- Game Center
- iTunes App Gifting
- Unification of iPhone/iPod touch/iPad software with iOS 4.2
- Lots of iTunes Connect improvements
- Mac App Store announced & open for submissions
- iTunes Connect mobile app released
- iAd Producer released
Other Events in the iOS Community
- Angry Birds became a mega-smash, owning the #1 position for the better part of the year
- Free app promotion sites started to proliferate
- Freemium games became hugely successful
- Epic and id brought console-quality game engines to the iOS platform
Feel free to add to this list in the comments. What do you think were some of the more interesting iOS events of 2010?
It should be an interesting year in iOS development. There are many questions waiting to be answered.
- New iPad: Will it have a higher resolution? Is there a smaller version coming? Facetime camera?
- New iPhone: Will they finally solve the antenna problems? Will it require a totally new industrial design to do so? Will it support 4G networks?
- What new features will the next version of iOS bring to the table?
- How will the Mac App Store evolve?
Mind Juice 2010
It’s been a busy year of late nights and long weekends for me, but I enjoy it, so it’s been worth it.
- Took over development of the iOS game, Flight Deck
- Attended 360|iDev in San Jose, California (including Game Jam)
- Created freeAppCalendar.com to help developers promote apps
- Purchased a new 27″ iMac
- Attended 360|iDev in Austin, Texas (including Game Jam)
- Outsourced two iPad apps to Elance.com (submitting both to Apple next week)
- Delivered several updates for Charmed and Flight Deck
- Started writing this blog for iDevBlogADay.com
- Started Unicorn Rush
- Started and then aborted development on Duels of the Runemasters
- Started work on two new iOS-related websites that you’ll be hearing more about in 2011
Mind Juice 2011
As usual, I have a lot on my plate for the coming year:
- Bring two new iOS-related websites to life
- Release Unicorn Rush (Q1)
- Release Animal Stickers kids iPad app in January
- Release Calc XML iPad calculator app in January
- Release three other unannounced games using all I’ve learned about iOS dev over the past 2 years
- Considering switching to full-time iOS development by taking on client work
There is also the possibility of a big change in my day job, which could either significantly delay or massively accelerate my switch to full-time iOS development, but I’m not allowed to publicly discuss it yet.
I should know within the next 2-4 weeks. Either way it goes will make for an interesting year!
I’d love to know what everyone else has planned for 2011, so feel free to post in the comments or link to your 2011 blog post.